When you’re preparing to put your home on the market, overspending on upgrades is one of the biggest mistakes you should avoid. Many sellers tend to go overboard with major upgrades and renovations, only realizing later on that they’ll never actually recoup the money they spent for those improvements.
That said, knowing which rooms to focus on when it comes to staging will not only help you save more money, but will enhance your home’s overall appeal as well.
Here’s are the top rooms you should focus on when you’re getting ready to sell, along with some tips on how you can showcase them properly:
A home’s living room is a gathering spot for family members and guests, where they can enjoy spending quality time. It should be staged with comfort in mind, and has to feel cozy and inviting.
- Decorate with plants – Decorating with orchids, flowers, or small plants like cacti or succulents is a great way to add a touch of nature to your living room.
- Arrange furniture in small clusters – If you have the space, clustering small furniture in groups of three to seven pieces in various areas is a terrific way to make your living room appear more spacious.
- Depersonalize – Clear your living room of any family photos and other personal items to encourage prospective buyers to visualize the space as their own.
Kitchen and dining room
A stylish and spacious kitchen is often at the top of the list for many homebuyers. Although kitchen renovations can sometimes be costly and time consuming, a well-executed staging job will help spruce up the space.
- Tidy up your countertops – Make your countertops look neat and organized by limiting the appliances placed on them to only the essentials, such as your microwave, coffee maker, and toaster.
- Accentuate with a centerpiece – Adding an elegant centerpiece, such as a bowl of fresh fruit or flowers in a stylish vase is an excellent way to decorate your kitchen table.
Bedrooms should look comfortable and serene, as this where homeowners will spend most of their time sleeping and relaxing.
- Use a minimalist look – Get rid of any unnecessary pieces of furniture to make bedrooms look more spacious.
- Dress your bed – Decorate beds with linen and throw pillows that match the style and color scheme of the room.
- Use neutral colors – Repaint with light, neutral colors such as gray, white, or beige to make your bedrooms appeal to a broader range of potential buyers.
Multi-purpose rooms should be staged to demonstrate its flexibility, so buyers can imagine using the room for whatever purpose they have in mind. You can stage extra rooms as a home office, a guest bedroom, a fitness studio, or something else, but make sure it has minimal décor and furniture, so it’s easier for buyers to envision their own items occupying the room.
Planning to sell your home? Work with the top resource for Lambertville, NJ homes for sale today! We at the David DePaola & Company Real Estate are here to make sure you get the best offer for your home as soon as possible. Get in touch with us at 609.883.4161, or send an email to david(at)depaola(dotted)com